Each of the pieces was individually marked for precise location within the monument. Blocks of coral rock were the material used for cutting and forming each piece. This precise and detailed work was carried out by two Spanish sculptors from Havana, who were provided with detailed drawings for the cutting of each piece. Their work was carried out in a carpentry shop on the corner of Mercedes and Souberville, in the City of Cárdenas. When all of the pieces were finished, they were transported in numerical order, as needed, during the construction of the monument.
The bronze plaque that stands at the foot of the monument reads as follows:
This monument is built in honor of the flag of the Republic of Cuba, in the city where it was raised for the first time on the 19th of May, 1850, by act of the expeditionary forces commanded by General Narciso Lopez.
The small plaque off to the side of the monument says the following:
The grandiose works that have turned our primitive northern coast into this beautiful and serene place, in which the spirit finds calm, the soul finds happiness and the heart pride, were carried out between May 10 of 1939 through May 10 of 1945 through the loving and happy innitiative of the gentlemanly and noble Sr. José Fermín Iturrioz Llaguno, "Favorite Son of the City of Cárdenas", with the complete and spontaneous acquiescence of the José Arechabala S.A. company, of which he is director, having employed the funds of that beloved entity, which was recognized as "Eminent Industrial Benefactor" by the Cárdenas City Council on May 10 of 1944.
Appreciation to Lourdes M. de la Fé for copying text
Translation by: E.J. de la Fé